Follow me on Twitter! That is all.
Tuesday, March 31, 2009
Wednesday, March 25, 2009
So at Mr. Bex's urging I googled the brown recluse spider bite and the first picture that popped up will definitely give me nightmares. Necrotic tissue surrounds the site of the bite and if not treated immediately you will die!!! How scary is that!!! Unfortunately I have seen first hand what a brown recluse spider bite looks like in the early stages, a friend who shall remain nameless got bit under the armpit (twice) and I can't tell you how gross it was trying to get all the puss-mixed with-blood out of the swollen bite area. Nasty! I won't post the photo that came up when I googled "brown recluse spider" because I am so grossed out by it myself. Google it yourself and tell me what you think. Scary shit.
Tuesday, March 24, 2009
Got off the Pink Line and headed to Mickey D's on 18th Street, and the place was full!!! I was just trying to get a sweet tea, for crying out loud, and had to wade through a gaggle of kiddies and their moms buying like 15 Happy Meals! I kid you not!! On top of that, people do not have the courtesy to step the fuck back from the counter after they order...Jesus Christ! Back the fuck up!! Grrrr....
If you're in Kansas City April 3rd, do stop by. Mr. Bex co-curates.
Thursday, March 19, 2009
Thursday March 19th marks the ninth installment of the Atomic Sketch Event. ASE has been growing in leaps and bounds every month and the March event is shaping up to be our biggest yet!
Atomic Sketch Event is a monthly event that brings together established and emerging artists of various disciplines. The artists create a variety of original new works each night and sell them for extremely affordable prices. In many cases, artists whose studio work sells for hundreds or even thousands of dollars will sell pieces for less than $50.
Ambiance is set throughout the night by DJ Greg Haus and our sponsor, Templeton Rye.
This monthly event takes place, as always, at Evil Olive nightclub at 1551 W. Division in Chicago's Wicker Park neighborhood from 6-10pm.
This month's artists:
* David Johnson
* Sarah Francis Hollis
* Brooks Golden
* Michelle Mashon
* Emmy Star Brown
* jOlly of Metamorph Studios
Drop-in artists are always welcome to bring materials and create and sell work, based on a first come, first serve basis with regard to work space.
In addition to the panel of artists, a featured artist or artist group hangs a show for the month. In March David Johnson is our featured artist. His work will hang for one month until the next Atomic Sketch Event in April.
-courtesy of Brooks Golden, bff/partner-in-crime!
Tuesday, March 17, 2009
Monday, March 16, 2009
..to dress less in hoodies and jeans and sneakers and be more like:
See what I mean?
Oh yeah, the tampon machine back there is out of order.
Opening paragraph from Philippa Gregory's The Other Queen:
"Every woman should marry to her own advantage since her husband will represent her, as viable as her front door, for the rest of her life. If she chooses a wastrel she will be avoided by all her neighbors as a poor woman, catch a duke and she will be Your Grace, and everyone will be her friend. She can be pious, she can be learned, she can be witty and wise and beautiful, but if she is married to a fool she will be "that poor Mrs. Fool" until the day he dies."
No thoughts related to this post, the statement just hit me in the face. Just substitute wastrel with drunkard/wife beater/loser and duke with celebrity/athlete/millionaire and there you have it.
Saturday, March 14, 2009
Thursday, March 12, 2009
So apparently Sears Tower, the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere will soon be known as Willis Tower after London-based Willis Group Holdings under the terms of a new lease signed by the company.
a) Why can't they just leave it well enough alone, it's always been the Sears Tower, it will always be the Sears Tower.
b) To add insult to injury, it's named after a London company, not a US-based one. The building is one of the most iconic American images, for crying out loud!
Next they will be calling the Hancock Center something like Barclay's Tower or some such nonsense.
Rants by Bex at 6:08 PM
In 1962 John Lennon walked out of the Parlophone studios, taking George and Ringo with him. Good-bye Beatles. Now it's 1987, and Lennon is an aged rocker, living in Liverpool. His life is pretty much shite, he's on the dole, and his son Julian has joined the fascist National Front. Paul McCarthy is now Paul Montana, a world-famous Vegas entertainer. Father George, a Jesuit priest, is recovering from a nervous breakdown, and Ringo lives on the earnings of his hairdressing wife. Brilliantly and darkly comic, this book is a must-read for Beatles and music fans. Written by Larry Kirwan.
Tuesday, March 10, 2009
Aw, the people behind this blog are hilarious.
Monday, March 9, 2009
This stuff is so good!!! And by this stuff I mean Thai iced tea! So many times Mr. Bex and I have sipped this sweet nectar from the Far East and declared it to be crackalicious...yes, it's good. I have never found out how to make this delicious drink, mostly we just order it when we eat at our favorite Asian restaurant Cozy (...damn that delicious golden noodles...) or Joy Yee Noodles but a couple of days ago one of my bosses at work brought in the special black tea and I got so excited I forgot to do any work. And he gave me the stash that he had with him!! The first time I brewed the tea, it wasn't strong enough and so did not have the usual radioactive orange color so characteristic of Thai iced tea. Next time I will do better!!! Add a dash of evaporated milk and some ice....man, this drink rivals a tall glass of sweet lemonade on a hot summer's day!! Except it's not summer yet and it was like 40 degrees out, but you know what I mean...It's crackalicious!! Everyone should try it at least once!
Sunday, March 8, 2009
I've mentioned how much I love Soia & Kyo before especially this red number but I don't mind any of these coats at all!! I don't shop a lot (not now especially that the economy's tanked), and I tend to like pieces with interesting details, and I like the collars on these! I don't mind shelling out for pieces that I'd wear for a while (ie coats) so I'd totally rock these!
PS. (Shout out to) Kev I know I post a lot of stuff about fashion, but like I said to you before, one can never talk too much fashion! And I hope your hand gets better soon.
Photo source: shebreathes.com
Saturday, March 7, 2009
This Sunday's gratuitous booty shot comes to you courtesy of Kickette.com. Enjoy. But not too much!!
Thursday, March 5, 2009
Last time I went to check out More Cupcakes' website, it was still under construction. Now it's up, and it's actually little more than an order form. I really need to check the place out, it's but a stone's throw away from my job....reviews to follow...
Wednesday, March 4, 2009
Like, with a passion. Absolutely cannot stand him. The other day one of his crap movies or another came on the tv and I mentioned to Mr. Bex, "God, I fucking hate Adam Sandler. He sucks." Which might be a lame argument for hating someone but come on, "Opera Man"? Fucking not funny at all. His movies suck. Little Nicky? Puh-leese. Billy Madison? Happy Gilmore? You Don't Mess With The Zohan? Pure inane drivel. Garbage, pretty much. Somebody shoot me if I'm ever forced to sit through an Adam Sandler movie.
Also I hate Rob Schneider, but that's another story.
So now I'm gonna balance all that hate with a bit of love. I love these boots! I think they're Chloe and probably cost like $5,000. But they're fucking ace, no doubt about that!
Sunday, March 1, 2009
From an astonishing amount of calories to several days' worth of fat in one meal to over the top levels of sodium, this is one place you don’t want to see any of your favorite foods. Every year, the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) comes up with its list of the Top Ten Worst Foods and I always look forward to it. Once in awhile I find out I’ve enjoyed one of the “worsts” (and stop immediately!). But this year, I’m happy to report I have not indulged in anything on CSPI’s list for 2009.
1. Pepperidge Farm Roasted White Meat Chicken Premium Pot Pie - There are 510 calories and 9 grams of saturated fat in this baby. Oh wait - that’s just for half a pie. The whole thing has 1020 calories and 18 grams of saturated fat.
2. Romano’s Macaroni Grill Spaghetti and Meatballs with Meat Sauce - This dish will set you back a staggering 2,430 calories and nearly three days’ worth of saturated fat (57 grams) plus 5,290 milligrams of sodium - more calories and saturated fat than two Macaroni Grill Tuscan Rib-Eye steak dinners.
3. Progresso Traditional, Vegetable Classics, and Rich & Hearty soups - Half a can averages more than half of a person’s daily quota of salt. Instead, CSPI says try Progresso’s Health Favorites reduced-sodium soups with up to 50 percent less salt.
4. Dove Ice Cream - A half cup has about 300 calories and an average of 11 grams of saturated fat - that’s half-a-day’s worth of the bad stuff.
5. The Cheesecake Factory Chris’ Outrageous Chocolate Cake - It’s layers of chocolate cake, brownie, toasted coconut pecan filling, and chocolate chip coconut cheesecake. CSPI found each five-inch-high slice weighs three-fourths of a pound and has 1,380 calories, 32 teaspoons of sugar, 33 grams of saturated fat and 5 grams of trans fat. Yikes!
6. Smoothie King’s Grape Expectations II - It’s one of Smoothie King’s “Snack Rights” with 550 calories in the 20-ounce size and 1,100 calories in the 40-ouncer. Proof that not all smoothies are good for you (but these are).
7. Pop Secret Movie Theater Butter Popcorn Snack Size Bags - Just one snack-size bag has 11 grams of bad fat, 7 of which are trans fats. Instead, CSPI says choose Orville Redenbacher’s Smart Pop or Smart Balance Smart ’N Healthy - both are made with no partially hydrogenated oils.
8. The Starbucks Venti (20 oz.) Caffè Mocha with whole milk and whipped cream has 450 calories and 13 grams of bad fat - more like a Quarter Pounder with Cheese in a cup. But you can lose all the bad fat and all but 170 calories if you order a tall (12 oz.) with nonfat milk and no whipped cream.
9. Chipotle Chicken Burrito - With rice, pinto beans, cheese, chicken, sour cream, and salsa, you get 1,040 calories and 16-1/2 grams of saturated fat - the same as three Subway Steak and Cheese 6-inch Subs. Plus the burrito comes with 2,500 milligrams of sodium! Ordering it without cheese or sour cream cuts the saturated fat to 3-1/2 grams, but you still end up with 810 calories and 2,300 milligrams of sodium. Ay Caramba!
10. Cold Stone Creamery’s Gotta Have It Founder’s Favorite - 12-ounces of ice cream, pecans, brownie pieces, fudge, and caramel adds up to a whopping 1,600 calories and 42 grams of saturated fat. That’s about the same as five single-scoop ice cream cones.
Any surprises? And tell me… have you had any of these?
Rants by Bex at 9:04 PM